Original Austro-Hungarian Empire enamelled patriotic donation badge of the Schwarz-gelbes Kreuz ("The black and yellow cross") welfare organisation - 1914, IN NICE CONDITION, VERY GOOD DETAILED EXAMPLE WITH INTACT PIN DEVICE, MAKER MARKED: "B.S. & Co", DIMENSIONS: cca 24 x 20 mm, A VERY GOOD PIECE, THE BADGE IS NOT OFTEN SEEN
HISTORY OF THE SCHWARZ-GELBES KREUZ:
Schwarz-gelbes Kreuz ("The black and yellow cross") was a war welfare organisation in Austria. On 31st August 1914, shortly after the outbreak of the First World War, Anka Bienerth, the wife of the then governor of Lower Austria Richard von Bienerth-Schmerling, founded an aid organisation for the Austrian war invalids and their families who had been hit by the war. The financial means to support the needy should come from the sale of a small black and yellow cross in the form of a badge , which was primarily offered to citizens in Vienna for sale. Inspired had this form of collection journalist and war correspondent Alice Schalek that with the Austrian journalist Siegfried Lowy managed sales of these badges. On closer inspection, however, it became clear that this form of willingness to help was less intended for the disabled, whose widows and orphans themselves served, than for the endurance of the war, in which Austria was to emerge victorious. This was demonstrated, among other things, by the fact that disabled officers and their families received far more support from the fund than ordinary soldiers or their families. When the organisation had been in existence for a year, the founder published an appeal in the Austrian daily newspaper Neue Freie Presse and promoted it in an appeal disguised as thanks to continue to acquire the badge and thus to maintain the financial support of the needy.