Original German Cholm Shield miniature stickpin - post WW2 / 1957 pattern - no swastika, NICE CONDITION - GENUINE ST&L (STEINHAUER UND LUECK) MADE EXAMPLE, ATTRACTIVE MINIATURE STICKPIN, SIZE: 9 mm, A NICE VERY RARE MINIATURE BADGE
FEW FACTS ABOUT 1957 PATTERN AWARDS:
In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War II–era decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region). The main government contract to manufacture and supply these new de-nazified WW2 1957 official decorations went to the world famous German firm Steinhauer & Lueck, Luedenscheid Germany. Knights Crosses, Iron Crosses , Wound Badges, Tank Assault Badges etc were re-designed by Steinhauer & Lück - often with the oak-leaf spray replacing the swastika, with S&L having the sole patent rights to all WW2 1957 German decorations. S&L did not have the whole monopoly on medal making, other famous firms such as Deschler & Sohn, BH Maher and Juncker also manufactured these new German decorations. Lüdenscheid is situated between the cities Dortmund and Bonn. It was here that one of the youngest medal firms was founded in 1889 by August Steinhauer and Gustav Adolf Lück. The first production began in a cellar, the customer base continued to increase. A property was bought at 51 Hochstrasse which is still home for this famous company today. During WW2 Steinhauer & Lück produced medals and badges, like the famous Knights Cross and many other types of medals and badges. In 1957 this company was awarded the contract to produce all the newly re-designed legal WW2 1957 de-nazified decorations, plus the contract to manufacture all of Germany's official decorations including Germany's highest order the Bundesverdienstkreuz. Only a very limited number of original WW2 1957 medals are still produced, mainly Iron Crosses, German Cross Gold & Silver & Wound Badges and are considered 100% genuine by the German Government.
HISTORY OF THE AWARD:
The Cholm Shield (German: Cholmschild) was a World War II German military decoration awarded to those who fought in the Cholm Pocket between 21 January and 5 May 1942. It was instituted on 1 July 1942 and is the rarest of the German combat shields with approximately 5,500 recipients. Bestowing of the award ceased as of 1 April 1943. The Cholmshield's basic design was produced in close cooperation between Generalmajor Theodor Scherer and Polizei - Rotwachtmeister Schlimmer. The design of the shield found its birth during the encirclement and after the battle came to an end, the proposal (and design) for the shield was presented to Hitler by Scherer. The actual design was changed a little by Professor Klein, in particular the form of the wings were changed and the head of the eagle changed direction. The eagle on the original design looked towards right, and if the shield was worn on the uniform the head was looking backwards therefore it was decided to change the eagles direction to the left. Another change was the dimensions; Schlimmers proposal for the shield where 38mm by 70mm which was changed to 38mm by 65mm before the shields came into production. The shield is always hollow struck and slightly concave. The size of original shields are between 38mm and 39.5mm width and 65mm to 65.5mm height. Original shields can be found in thin stamped magnetic metal (iron) that has an oxidized grey appearance (indicated as the early versions), and zinc which had grey sprayed or painted on, an indication of later production. The shield was attached to a backing plate trough pins (either 3 or 4) and between these 2 parts the cloth piece was attached. The cloth piece is in the color of the recipients branch which has two variations in form; the earlier versions are attached to a half round cloth piece while the later versions are attached to a cloth piece that followed the outlines of the actual shield. The recipient was allowed to buy a new Cholmshield in the official LDO controlled outlets and the price was set as follows (from the Deutsche Uniformen Zeitschrift , LDO regulated , November 1944); Cholmshield with cloth backing & backing plate in wrapper : 1.10 RM., Cholmshield with backing plate in wrapper (no cloth): 0.95 RM., Cholmshield without backing plate & cloth in wrapper : 0.85 RM., Cholmshield as stickpin (9 mm.): 0.50 RM. According to this list the buyer could obtain a complete piece or not , and so it is possible that one could encounter a Cholmshield in wear without cloth backing attached directly towards the uniform . As with any German award the Cholmshield is nowadays widely faked and therefore prior to purchase the collector must study the subject at length. While some of the fakes are relatively easy to spot, others are more intricate. In 1957 the Cholmschield was also authorized as a official award and could be worn on the uniform in a slightly changed form (without the Swastika , the head of the eagle is also different).