Original German Navy WW1 Wound Badge in Silver miniature pin post WW2 made, VERY NICE CONDITION - WITH INTACT FINISH (ST&L / STEINHAUER UND LUECK MADE POST WW2 EXAMPLE), A RARE MINIATURE, SIZE: 9 mm
FEW FACTS ABOUT POST WW2 MADE IMPERIAL GERMAN & FOREIGN AWARDS::
After WW2 wear and display of former Nazi decorations were strictly prohibited in Germany. As Germany split apart into East and West Germany, each of these new countries issued directives concerning the status of former awards and decorations of Nazi Germany. Within East Germany, these awards were all abolished with a new era of German Communist decorations created to take their place. However, in West Germany, pre 1933 issued awards were fully accepted to wear & display, therefore these awards (including foreign awards) were continuously produced after the end of the war by major manufacturers, such as Steinhauer & Lück, Deumer or Souval. In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War II–era decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region).
HISTORY OF THE AWARD:
Naval Wound Badge (Verwundetenabzeichen für Angehörige der Marine) - Naval Wound Badge for the Imperial Navy (Kaiserliche Marine) personnel, Verwundetenabzeichen für Angehörige der Marine, or Marineverwundetenabzeichen, was instituted on June 24, 1918 by Wilhelm II in the same classes as the Army badge and under the same regulations described above. Marineverwundetenabzeichen also had a shape of a vertical oval, but unlike Army Wound Badge it was formed by an anchor chain. An anchor with two superimposed crossed swords pointing upwards was situated in the middle of the badge. Issued pieces were seamless with pebbled surface, while privately purchased badges in most cases had elegant cut-out design. As both Verwundetenabzeichen, Army and Naval, were introduced at the closing stage of the Great War, many wounded and mutilated soldiers and sailors never received their just awards. Injustice hadn’t been remedied in the Weimar Republic and it was only on January 30, 1936 that the Ministry of Interior Affairs of the Third Reich made a symbolic gesture applauded by former front fighters. Thus, since that date all the veterans who were wounded but never received a badge were eligible for that award upon presentation of a documented proof. They were also issued with a Home Ministry authorization that allowed them to wear Verwundetenabzeichen officially in public. Another step forward was made on April 20, 1939, when the Ministry of Interior Affairs applied the same procedure to the former military personnel wounded in action during the Great War who were permanent residents of Austria, Sudetenland and Memel, annexed by that time by the Third Reich. Thus Army and Naval Wound Badges, Model 1918 were presented to veterans until late 1941.