Original post WW2 German made Hungarian Order Of Merit Knight Cross With Swords ribbon bar - with an incorrect miniature. German manufacturers didn't always have the exactly correct device to put on a ribbon bar with foreign decorations and used the closest they had - in this case they added a miniature of a House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords and crooked the cross on the Holy Crown (the cross on top of the Hungarian Holy Crown was knocked crooked during the 17th century when the Holy Crown was damaged, possibly by the top of the iron chest housing the insignia being hastily closed without the Holy Crown having been placed in it properly. The cross has since been left in this slanted position, and is now typically depicted as such). IN VERY NICE CONDITION - GENUINE RARE STEINHAUER UND LUECK (ST&L) GERMAN MADE EXAMPLE, HARD TO FIND - REALLY GOOD AND RARE PIECE, SIZE: cca 40 mm
FEW FACTS ABOUT POST WW2 MADE IMPERIAL GERMAN & FOREIGN AWARDS:
After WW2 wear and display of former Nazi decorations were strictly prohibited in Germany. As Germany split apart into East and West Germany, each of these new countries issued directives concerning the status of former awards and decorations of Nazi Germany. Within East Germany, these awards were all abolished with a new era of German Communist decorations created to take their place. However, in West Germany, pre 1933 issued awards were fully accepted to wear & display, therefore these awards (including foreign awards) were continuously produced after the end of the war by major manufacturers, such as Steinhauer & Lück, Deumer or Souval. In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War II–era decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region).
HISTORY OF THE AWARD:
Hungarian Order of Merit, Knight’s Cross With Swords (Magyar Érdemrend, Katonai Lovagkeresztje), 1922-1944 issue - Enamel cross pattée with crossed swords between the arms, the arms with white enamel panels, on laterally-pierced ball suspension; the face with a circular central red enamel medallion bearing the imposed gilt metal cross of St Stephen supported by the crown of St Stephen resting upon three hills within a green enamel and gilt circular laurel wreath; the reverse with a circular central gilt medallion inscribed ‘SI DEUS PRO NOBIS QUIS CONTRA NOS’ (If God is for us, who can be against us). The Order was instituted on 14 June 1922 by Admiral Miklós Horthy de Nagybánya, Regent of Hungary, for outstanding merit, both military and civil. On 23 December 1935 it was transformed into an official distinction. Since then if is known as Order of Merit of the (Kingdom of) Hungary (Hungarian: Magyar Érdemrend). After the Hungarian monarchy was abolished, on 14 September 1946 the National Assembly of Hungary disestablished the order and replaced it by the Order of Merit of the Repulic of Hungary (Hungarian: Magyar Köztársasági Érdemrend). After the promulgation of the new Hungarian constitution on 20. August 1949, the order was disestablished. After the collapse of the communist regime in Hungary, the order was reestablished as the second-highest distinction of the country. Since 2012 the official name is Order of Merit of Hungary (Hungarian: Magyar Érdemrend). Originally the order was instituted as the Order of Merit in three grades: gilt, silver and bronze. Eventually the order was expanded to include the following seven classes: Collar, Grand Cross with Holy Crown, Grand Cross, Grand Commmander, Commander, Officer and Knight.