Original German Cycling Federation membership badge - pre WW1 (The script at the bottom of the badge "ALL HEIL" is often misinterpreted: this is a well known salutation between cyclists in Germany, meaning "All safe!", it is nothing to do with Third Reich salutation but some dealers are trying to tempt buyers with such description. This is a pre WW1 badge, in fact a very attractive piece.), IN PERFECT CONDITION, RARE BADGE, SIZE: cca 50 mm
HISTORY OF THE BDR:
The German Cycling Federation or BDR (in German: Bund Deutscher Radfahrer) is the national governing body of cycle racing in Germany. The BDR is a member of the UCI and the UEC. The BDR was first created in 1884 in Leipzig, only to be subsequently dissolved in 1933 after the Enabling Act of 1933, which legally gave Hitler dictatorial control of Germany. The Deutscher Radfahrer-Verband (DRV), a unit (Fachamt) of the Nazi Sports Body took over, until it was disbanded on May 31, 1945 for being the branch of a Nazi organization. The BDR was re-established on 21 November 1948. In East Germany the cycling section of the Deutscher Sportausschuss, the DDR's sports body, was established in 1946. In 1957 it was renamed Deutscher Radsport-Verband der DDR (DRSV), "East German Cycling Federation", which was responsible for the sport until the merger of both countries on 7 December 1990. Since 2005, the president of the BDR has been former Federal Minister of Defence Rudolf Scharping. Between 2001 and 2005, former track-and-field athlete Sylvia Schenk led the BDR.