Original German / Oldenburg WW1 Friedrich August Cross II. Class - post WW2 made, PERFECT CONDITION, INTACT FINISH (ST&L / STEINHAUER UND LUECK MADE POST WW2 EXAMPLE) ON GOOD RIBBON
FEW FACTS ABOUT POST WW2 MADE IMPERIAL GERMAN & FOREIGN AWARDS:
After WW2 wear and display of former Nazi decorations were strictly prohibited in Germany. As Germany split apart into East and West Germany, each of these new countries issued directives concerning the status of former awards and decorations of Nazi Germany. Within East Germany, these awards were all abolished with a new era of German Communist decorations created to take their place. However, in West Germany, pre 1933 issued awards were fully accepted to wear & display, therefore these awards (including foreign awards) were continuously produced after the end of the war by major manufacturers, such as Steinhauer & Lück, Deumer or Souval. In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War II–era decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region).
HISTORY OF THE AWARD:
Oldenburg's Friedrich-August-Kreuz I. Klasse (Friedrich-August Cross 1st Class) was established on 24 September 1914 by Grand Duke Friedrich-August of the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg in 2 classes. It was awarded for combatant or non-combatant meritorious service. The Friedrich August Cross was Oldenburg's equivalent of the Prussian Iron Cross. Like the Iron Cross, it came in two classes - a pinback 1st Class and a 2nd Class worn from a ribbon. The 1st Class (Steckkreuz) was only awarded to recipients of the 2nd Class. It ceased to be awarded after WWI. The best figures available indicate that approximately 6,900 awards were made of the 1st Class between 1914-1919 (with 1,734 of them being awarded between 24 September 1914 and 31 December 1916). It is approximately 1 5/8 inches by 1 5/8 inches (or 45 x 45 mm up to 45.8 x 45.8 mm), normally more than 3mm thick due to the typical vaulted design, and weighes 20.5 to 29.0 grams - or 30.5 grams in the case of the screw-back type. It was made from a variety of materials (usually iron - making it responsive to a magnet test, buntmetal, or zinc) and typically painted or lacquered. The cross obverse has FA centered and surrounded by a flat circle with a finely detailed thick crown above centered on the 12:00 arm. The 6:00 arm has the date 1914 centered. Both the 3:00 and 9:00 arms are plain. The cross has a circled leaf spray at about mid-point. The plain reverse is a typical pin-back although some examples may be found in the screw-back design. The reverse may be hallmarked with the location, varying with the maker and is rarely flat.