Original German / Prussian WW1 Red Cross Decoration III. Class (Medaille für Verdienste um das Preußische Rote Kreuz, III Klasse), IN PERFECT CONDITION, POST WW2 MADE EXAMPLE, MAKER: STEINHAUER & LUECK (ST&L), REALLY GOOD AND RARE PIECE ON GENUINE RIBBON - HARD TO FIND
FEW FACTS ABOUT POST WW2 MADE IMPERIAL GERMAN & FOREIGN AWARDS:
After WW2 wear and display of former Nazi decorations were strictly prohibited in Germany. As Germany split apart into East and West Germany, each of these new countries issued directives concerning the status of former awards and decorations of Nazi Germany. Within East Germany, these awards were all abolished with a new era of German Communist decorations created to take their place. However, in West Germany, pre 1933 issued awards were fully accepted to wear & display, therefore these awards (including foreign awards) were continuously produced after the end of the war by major manufacturers, such as Steinhauer & Lück, Deumer or Souval. In 1957 the West German government authorised replacement Iron Crosses with an Oak Leaf Cluster in place of the swastika, similar to the Iron Crosses of 1813, 1870, and 1914, which could be worn by World War II Iron Cross recipients. The 1957 law also authorised de-Nazified versions of most other World War II–era decorations (except those specifically associated with Nazi Party organizations, such as SS Long Service medals, or with the expansion of the German Reich, such as the medals for the annexation of Austria, the Sudetenland, and the Memel region).
HISTORY OF THE AWARD:
Medal of Honour of the Prussian Red Cross, III class (Medaille für Verdienste um das Preußische Rote Kreuz, III Klasse) - Circular gilt bronze medal with loop for ribbon attachment; the face with a Greek (Geneva) cross with vertical hatching denoting the heraldic colour gules (red), a Prussian crown at the end of each arm, the letters ‘WRAV’ (for Wilhelm II, Emperor of Germany, King of Prussia); the reverse inscribed ‘FUER VERDIENSTE UM DAS ROTHE KREUZ’ (For service to the Red Cross), an oak branch to the. Prussia was officially represented at the conference held in Geneva from 26 to 29 October 1863 and its Red Cross Society was formed shortly after, making it one of the earliest societies. In 1864, Prussia was one of the original twelve signatories of the Geneva Convention. The medal was created in 1897 for service to the Prussian Red Cross Society and issued until 1917.